Nightfall installs into your Jira account as an Atlassian Connect app, so the installation is completed in the Atlassian UI.
Before you install the app, ensure that you’ve provided your Nightfall Account Manager with the base URL for your Atlassian instance so that we can configure it in our platform. Once you’ve done that, navigate to the DLP for Jira - Nightfall AI listing in the Atlassian Marketplace and click Get it now.
Choose the Atlassian site where you would like to install your app and follow the instructions to finish the installation.
Once you have completed these steps, log in to your Nightfall dashboard and click on the Jira tab in the left sidebar to validate that the app is successfully installed.
First, we will configure our Detection Rule that defines the types of sensitive data we are looking for in Jira. The detection rule is the Nightfall aggregation of detectors and confidence levels/findings that will dictate whether a violation or finding is recorded.
We strongly recommend configuring a simple detection rule to start as follows:
Now that our Detection Rule has been created, we will create our Jira policy that will use this Detection Rule.
Navigate to the Policies option, under the Jira option on the left sidebar of the Nightfall console view.
To create your first policy, please select the ‘+ New Policy’ option:
The first step for policy creation will be naming the policy. The example screenshot policy below is called ‘High risk sensitive data’.
The second step is to define the scope of the policy. The options for Scope are:
- Everything - will scan all Jira projects and spaces
- Choose projects - allows for specific Jira projects to be searched. These can be added by their Project Key
Next, we will apply the Detection Rule we created in the prior step to this Policy. This means the Policy will be evaluating content against this Detection Rule to determine if it meets the criteria for a Violation or not.
Similar to some of our other integrations, there are three alerting options for Jira Real-TIme scanning with Nightfall:
- 1.Slack Channel
Please find an example alerting section below that is sending Jira violation alerts to a Slack channel, with the name #nf-jira-alerts.
Once this has been configured to your liking, you can save the policy with the option on the bottom of the screen.
You are now able to create custom notifications in Jira as well. This can be seen at the bottom of the Alert Settings page, as seen below:
Default message can be seen in the notification box above
If you would like to change the Jira Site (e.g. newsite.atlassian.net) that Nightfall is connected to, please follow the steps below:
- 1.Follow the steps above to install Nightfall into your new Jira Site.
- 2.Notify Nightfall by emailing your Customer Success Manager or [email protected] with your new Jira domain (e.g. newsite.atlassian.net), and your old/existing Jira Site domain (e.g. oldsite.atlassian.net).
- 1.Nightfall will unlink your existing Jira Site and link your new one.
- 2.Please do not run any scans during this time.
- 3.Once you have received confirmation from Nightfall that the re-linking process is complete, you can uninstall the Nightfall app from your old Jira Site by clicking "Uninstall" on the app in your installed apps, as shown below. Please do not uninstall until you have received confirmation from Nightfall.